about Beauty [topic:
Bernard; sub- questions: Thor]
DATE 29 January 2017 [Main Discussion Topics Index http://thormay.net/unwiseideas/DiscussionTopics/DiscussionIndex.htm ]
1. Lead question: Does our apprehension of beauty have an objective foundation in external reality, or is it purely subjective, i.e. all in the mind?
2. What is constant in ideas of human beauty across time and across cultures?
3. What varies in ideas of human beauty across time and across cultures?
4. Are ideas of human beauty inherently linked to sexuality?
5. What would lead a group of mechanical engineers to consider a particular type of engine beautiful?
6. Does great art have to be beautiful art?
7. What kind of evidence would lead us to conclude that human minds/brains share characteristics that would lead to an objective consensus about a category of things called “beautiful”?
8. Why might an interstellar, non carbon-based group of beings share some concept of beauty with humans?
9. How has your personal idea of beauty evolved over your lifetime?
10. How possible is it to love that which is seen as ugly?
Beauty-QE Discussion Questions ©Thor May 2018
return to homepage