barebones ©Thor May 2001 back to barebones index
All the materials in barebones are working teaching documents
subject to review, alteration or abandonment in classroom practice.
Anyone is welcome to use this stuff, but copyright remains with
Thor May. Feedback, positive or negative, is very welcome.
ESL materials & ideas developed in Korea
Topical Texts to Learn - A Famous Korean
a) Text: A Famours Korean
_____[name] ___________ is a famous Korean.
He(she) is well-known because he (she) ________ [reason for fame] __________.
I first learned about ________ [name] _______ from _______ [source: e.g. radio/ TV / papers / friends / my parents ... ] _______________
If I met him (her), I would ask him (her) ________________ [interesting question: e.g. "how long do you expect to keep running?" to a runner] ___________
I think that _______ [name] 's _________ answer would be____________________
1. Discuss the meaning of "famous", as distinct from merely "well-known"
2. With student help, construct a list on the board of the kinds of things that might make a person famous.
3. With weak students, it might be necessary to compile a list of famous Koreans as a group exercise.
4. Briefly revise question forms: Who, What, When, Where, Why, How ... etc.
5. Ask students to fill in the text.
6. Students work in pairs to orally master their texts
7. Selected students are invited to give a little talk to the class, and to take questions from the floor.
8. Poll students to see what they personally would like to become famous for.
"Topical Texts - A Famous Korean" copyrighted to Thor May 2001; all rights reservedback to barebones index