+ Good morning Mr. Chu.
We are very pleased that you could come for an interview.
이렇게 면접을 보러 와 주셔서 감사합니다 .
I am the personnel manager of the Excellent Pickle Company.
저는 EPC 의 인사과장입니다 .
- How do you do Mr. Lu.
I am pleased to be here.
처음 뵙겠습니다 .
+ Well to begin, let me ask you about your experience in the pickle business.
먼저 김치가공업 관련 경험에 대해 좀 말씀해 주시겠습니까 ?
- I have been eating pickled radishes for twenty years Mr. Lu.
저는 무를 20 년간 먹었습니다 .
I can also recognize at least twenty different kinds of kimchi.
그리고 20 여종의 김치를 감별할 수 있습니다 .
+ Hmm. That’s very interesting Mr. Chu.
음 . 그러시군요 .
I really wanted to know about your professional employment in the pickle business.
근데 제가 물은 건 김치회사에서 일한 경력 말씀입니다만 .
- I used to help my mother prepare kimchi for every winter.
저는 겨울마다 어머니가 김장할 때 도와드렸습니다 .
I was especially good at washing cabbages.
배추 씻기가 제 특기였고요 .
She paid for me to visit the PC Cafe when I did that.
제가 배추 씻으면 어머니가 PC 방 갈 돈을 주셨지요 .
+ Ah, OK, I see…. Mr. Chu, what are your educational qualifications?
아 , 알겠습니다 . 학교는 어딜 나오셨지요 ?
- My middle school teachers always said I was smart.
제 중학교 선생님들이 저 보고 똑똑하다고 하셨어요 .
I made the best paper aeroplanes.
제가 종이비행기를 제일 잘 만들었거든요 .
+ Thank you Mr. Chu. We will be in touch with you. Goodbye.
고맙습니다 . 또 연락 드리기로 하지요 . 안녕히 가세요 .
The Love Club Interviews Mr. Chu
+ Thank you for choosing our service Mr. Chu.
저희 회사를 찾아 주셔서 감사합니다 .
We can guarantee to find you the perfect marriage partner.
선생님께 꼭 맞는 배우자를 반드시 찾아 드리겠습니다 .
- That’s just what I want madam - the perfect marriage partner.
꼭 맞는 배우자 그게 바로 제가 원하는 거에요 .
I hope you have plenty to choose from.
선택할 여자들은 많이 있겠죠 ?
+ Yes, we have many attractive young ladies on our books Mr. Chu.
그럼요 . 멋진 여자 회원들이 많이 있답니다 .
What exactly are you looking for?
특별히 원하시는 조건이 있으신가요 ?
- Well, she has to be young and beautiful; I mean really sexy.
젊고 예쁘고 진짜 섹시해야죠 .
She should like me.
저를 좋아해야 되고요 .
She must have an independent income of at least ten million won a month.
그리고 한 달 수입이 천만 원은 돼야죠 .
+ Hmm. What do you have to offer the young lady, Mr Chu?
음 . 선생님께선 그런 여자분께 뭘 제공하실 수 있지요 ?
- Well, as you can see, I am handsome, young and ambitious.
보시다시피 제가 인물 좋고 젊고 야심만만하지 않습니까 .
One day I might even have a job and some money.
거기다 나중에 취직해서 돈을 벌 지도 모르고요 .
+ I see.
You are looking for a beautiful, stupid, rich young girl to marry a broke, unemployed boy.
무일푼 무직자하고 결혼할 돈 많고 예쁘고 멍청한 여자를 찾으시는군요 .
Is that correct?
- You understand me perfectly.
바로 그겁니다 .
+ I am giving you your money back Mr. Chu.
가입비는 돌려드리겠습니다 .
This is the real world.
여긴 꿈나라가 아니랍니다 .
1. Listen to native speakers
saying this dialogue (if you can). Try to copy their intonation.
2. Memorize the conversation. Practice it with a partner
3. Make a sentence skeleton, using the first letter of each word [e.g. g-m-m-c-w-a-v-p-y-c-c-f-a-i....]
4. Test your memory of the dialogue within 24 hours. Use the sentence skeleton for to help with the test. (If you don't do this, you will forget about 80%).
a) Make up your own English
sentences with the speech-frames below; (these frames come from the conversation
b) Try to join all the speech-frames into one story (if you are clever!).
1. We are pleased that ________________________
2. I am the ____________________________
3. I hope you have ________________________
4. Let me ask you about ________________
5. I have been eating __________________ for _______________
6. I can recognize __________ kinds of _____________
7. I really wanted to know about ___________________
8. I used to _______________________________
9. I was especially good at _______________________________
10. We can guarantee to _____________________
11. I hope you have __________________
12. She must have _________________________
13. She has to be ___________________________
14. One day I might ____________________________
"Pickle Factory Interview" copyrighted to Thor May 2005; all rights reserved
May; translation by 박준 영
( Wordsworth Translation & Publishing Services, www. wordsworth.co.kr)
[to view the Korean hangeul fonts on this page, users with English operating systems will need to install the MS Windows IME international fonts option and select Korean as a recognized language]