Thor May; translation by 박준영
+ Oh dear, I’m really confused.
여보 , 정말 헷갈려 .
Should I put on my shirt first or my trousers first?
셔츠를 먼저 입어야 할지 바지를 먼저 입어야 할지 말이야 .
- It doesn’t matter, Mr. Magoo.
상관 없어요 .
Just DO it, or we’ll be late.
아무렇게든 입기나 해요 . 늦겠어요 .
+ Could you give me a hand Mrs. Magoo?
나 좀 도와줄래요 , 여보 ?
Now these trousers won’t stay up while I put on my shirt.
셔츠를 입는 동안 자꾸 바지가 흘러내려 .
- Oh, you silly man!
아이구 , 멍청이 !
Zip up your trousers first, then put on your shirt.
바지 단추를 채우고 셔츠를 입으면 될 거 아니에요 .
+ Don’t be cross, Mrs. Magoo.
열 내지 마요 .
It’s bad for your digestion.
당신 속만 쓰리니까 .
But if I zip up my trousers, I can’t tuck in my shirt.
근데 바지 단추를 채우면 셔츠를 못 집어넣는데 .
- Oh my god! Why did I marry you Mr. Magoo?
아이구 맙소사 ! 내가 어쩌다 당신이랑 결혼했는지 .
I think I’m going to scream.
열불 터져서 정말 .
Mr. Magoo Fights a Vending Machine
+ Please tell me again officer, why are you arresting me?
내가 뭘 어쨌다고 체포하겠다는 거요 ?
- You attacked a vending machine with your umbrella, Mr. Magoo.
우산으로 자동판매기를 두들겨댔잖아요 .
+ It took my money, but didn’t give me a drink can officer.
내 돈만 삼키고 음료수를 안 내놓으니까 그렇죠 .
That’s not fair.
이런 개 같은 경우가 어디 있소 .
- It’s not a fair world Mr. Magoo.
그보다 더한 일도 많은 세상 아닙니까 .
Why didn’t you ring the vending company?
자판기회사에 전화를 걸지 그랬어요 .
+ My time is worth $10 a minute officer.
내가 1 분에 10 달러 버는 사람이오 .
And do you really think they’d refund the phone call?
더군다나 그 놈들이 전화료나 돌려준답니까 ?
- Hmm. Here’s a deal Mr. Magoo.
좋소 , 이렇게 합시다 .
If you tell me how I can earn $10 a minute, I’ll make you a free man again!
어떻게 하면 1 분에 10 달러 버는지 가르쳐 주면 없던 일로 해 주리다 .
5. Make up another
Mr. Magoo story.
6. Write down a list of things you can be arrested for. Why can you be arrested for these things?
up your own English sentences with the speech-frames below;
(these frames come from the conversations of "Mr Magoo" above).
b) Try to join all the speech-frames into one story (if you are clever!).
1. I'm really ________________________
2. Should I put on ____________ or ________________
3. These ________ won't _______________ while I _________
4. Zip up ________ first, then ________________
5. The ________ you need is _______________
6. Why did I _______________________
7. Why are you ___________________
8. It/he took _____________ but didn't __________________
9. Why didn't you _______________________________
10. Do you really think (that) _____________________
11. If you tell me how __________________, I will _______________
"Mr Magoo is Confused " copyrighted to Thor May 2005; all rights reserved
May; translation by 박준 영
( Wordsworth Translation & Publishing Services, www. wordsworth.co.kr)
[to view the Korean hangeul fonts on this page, users with English operating systems will need to install the MS Windows IME international fonts option and select Korean as a recognized language]