+ Why didn’t you come last week?
자네 지난 주에 왜 안 왔는가 ?
You missed some important things!
중요한 게 많았는데 말이야 .
- I’m sorry, I meant to come but a family emergency came up.
죄송합니다 . 오려고 했는데 갑자기 집안에 일이 생겨서요 .
+ Is everything OK now?
이제 괜찮은가 ?
- Yes, it’s all fixed now.
예 , 이제 다 해결됐습니다 .
But can I hand in my assignment next week?
저 , 근데 과제물을 다음주까지 제출하면 안 될까요 ?
+ Late assignments get a 10% penalty.
기한을 넘기면 점수가 10% 깎이네 .
- But the books I need are out on loan.
필요한 책들이 다 대출 중이라서요 .
+ I’ll give you some Internet references.
인터넷으로 찾을 수 있는 참고자료를 알려주겠네 .
The information you need is easy to get.
과제물에 필요한 정보는 쉽게 구할 수 있다네 .
- Thanks sir, but my computer has a virus.
고맙습니다만 제 컴퓨터가 바이러스를 먹어서요 .
It’s not working.
작동이 안 되거든요 .
+ Sorry, no more excuses today!!
핑계는 그만 늘어놓게 !!
If the assignment is late, you lose 10%!
과제물 늦게 제출하면 이유불문하고 (no matter what reason) 10% 깎을 거야 !
Get Out Of This !!
- You arrive late for work the third time this week. The boss has threatened to fire you
- The manager has just learned you made a W300,000 mistake on a customer's order
5. Make up some excuses to for Get Out Of This!.
up your own English sentences with the speech-frames below;
(these frames come from the conversation "Excuses, excuses!" above).
b) Try to join all the speech-frames into one story (if you are clever!).
1. Why didn't you ________________________
2. I meant to ____________________________
3. Can I ________________________________
4. The ________ I need are ________________
5. The ________ you need is _______________
6. I'll give you some _______________________
"Excuses, Excuses!" copyrighted to Thor May 2005; all rights reserved
May; translation by 박준 영
( Wordsworth Translation & Publishing Services, www. wordsworth.co.kr)
[to view the Korean hangeul fonts on this page, users with English operating systems will need to install the MS Windows IME international fonts option and select Korean as a recognized language]